Wednesday, May 8, 2013

The Weekend Chef: Mustard-Whisky Glazed Ham

This was the main dish we served at my daughter's party.  Both her and my son LOVE ham.  Lucky for me I got this one "free" from Shoprite (after spending a gazillion dollars!) right before Easter and stuck it in the freezer until her party.  My husband was responsible for cooking it since I was busy cooking all of the side dishes.  Because we only have one oven (one day I'll get my dream kitchen with a double oven!) he decided to grill the ham.  Good choice because I had no room in the oven with all of the sides!  The original recipe had cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, and allspice in the glaze.  I'm not a huge fan of those spices in savory dishes so my husband ended up adding just a little nutmeg into the sauce.  The glaze created a nice crust on the ham, as seen in the pic below, and added a nice sweetness to the ham.  Both my daughter and son loved this! Of course we ended up with a ton of leftover ham, so more ham recipes will be coming soon!
Mustard-Whisky Glazed Ham
recipe adapted from Serious Eats, courtesy of Joshua Bousel

Ingredients:
1 ready-to-eat bone-in ham, around 10 pounds
1 1/4 cups dark brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup dijon mustard
2 tablespoons Jack Daniels Whiskey
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Directions:1. Remove ham from packaging, wash, and pat dry with paper towels, allowing it to come to room temperature.

2. Heat grill (we used a Weber charcoal grill).

3.Mix the dark brown sugar through ground allspice into a thick paste in a medium bowl to form the glaze, set aside.

4. Cook ham to desired temperature, about 4-5 hours for a ten-pound ham to reach 120 degrees. Brush on the glaze during the last hour of cooking. Remove from grill, slice, and serve.
  Family Rating: 1 1/2 thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment